In view of the growing need of Physiotherapy, one of the fastest growing allied areas of Medical Sciences, Jamia Millia Islamia has taken a lead in establishing a Centre, which is first of its kind in a Central University in India. Centre endeavors to prepare highly skilled Professionals and efficient Physiotherapists with thorough knowledge of theoretical and practical aspects of the field in the light of recent developments in the field of Bio-Medical Sciences.
The academic council approved the proposal to establish Centre for Physiotherapy & Rehabilitation Sciences in Jamia Millia Islamia in 2005 which was subsequently, approved by UGC under Xth plan in May 2006. Centre is presently successfully running 4.5 years of Bachelor of Physiotherapy (BPT), 2 years of Masters in Physiotherapy (MPT-Sports, orthopedics, cardiopulmonary and neurology) and Ph.D. programme in all the stream. Centre has set up its research laboratory in the area of Orthopedic Rehabilitation, Sports & exercise Physiology, Sleep and diabetes Rehabilitation, Neuro and Cardio-pulmonary Rehabilitation. Centre is supported by UGC under its innovative programme.
Centre has a team of well qualified faculties trained in reputed institutions to run the course. Centre has procured most of the equipments and accessories which are necessary to conduct the practical classes. Centre has a well equipped laboratory for carrying out practical work in basic medical sciences and state of art facilities for Physiotherapy practices. Centre has a departmental reference library with around 2000 books, IT and computer facility.
The centre has procured many types of equipment for research work in the above mentioned research area e.g. Power Lab. AD Instruments and RMS for EMG-NCV, ELISA reader, spectrophotometer, metabolic analyser for breath to breath oxygen monitoring & HRV, polysomnograph (RMS) for studying human sleep, exercise evaluation system for strength testing , high performance treadmill.
Centre has well equipped and functional physiotherapy clinic which was inaugurated by the then Vice chancellor of JMI in September 2007 to support clinical training, research activities and to provide Physiotherapy & rehabilitation services to the community for physiotherapy treatment and advice. The centre has state of the art electrotherapy imported equipments such as LASER, Microwave Diathermy, Combination Therapy, cryotherapy, ultrasound, traction EMG-Biofeedback, PFT unit , multi-gym and exercise therapy equipments of international standards.
Centre has received many research and developmental grants from UGC, DST, CCRUM, Ministry of Health, GOI . Some of the major research projects and developmental grant proposals are under consideration of various funding agencies. Finally Centre endeavors to establish itself as Centre of excellence in Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation sciences in the country.
Major Objectives Of The Centre
- To offer undergraduate and post graduate courses in Physiotherapy, Rehabilitation and allied health / Biomedical Sciences.
- To promote and conduct scientific research and training in chosen areas of Physiotherapy, Rehabilitation and allied interdisciplinary areas leading to M. Phil / Ph. D degrees.
- To provide a forum for interaction among scientists, research workers, teachers and students with national and international experts in these areas.
- To create tenure-based short term and long term chairs and visiting positions for experts in identified areas for interaction with the faculty, carrying out research and exchange of ideas.
- To conduct seminars, workshops, conferences and extension lectures and to promote inter-institutional interaction.
- To provide clinical services in Physiotherapy and organize short term camps.
- To provide professional support to university sports team and coordinate with Physical education Department for introducing a course in physical education.
- To offer special training courses / services for Dementia and other old age related problems and for differently abled children.