- Notification of the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, GoI in respect of Recognition of BDS Programme Click here
Dental science is an important integral branch of modern medical sciences. Today’s dental surgeons are trained not only to treat dental diseases but also to diagnose and treat diseases occurring in the entire orofacial region, ranging from dental caries to periodontitis to oral cancer. Keeping this in mind, the Faculty of Dentistry at Jamia Millia Islamia has an ambitious vision of continued growth and development over the coming academic years. This includes:
- a 100-bedded medical Hospital, which shall be made functional with a vision to provide world-class medical facilities under one roof; and
- Introduction of Post-Graduate studies in different super- speciality fields in dentistry which will facilitate the Faculty to achieve academic and clinical excellence.
- The faculty is ready to undertake interdisciplinary research projects in collaboration with the other departments in the university.
Over the last academic year, the Faculty continued to work in line with its Mission to not only to develop good doctors but also groom students into socially conscious, scientifically inclined, well-rounded personalities. We remain committed to this Mission.
Although the Faculty of Dentistry at Jamia Millia Islamia is a relatively new faculty, it has had a number of notable achievements to its credit over the past academic year.
- The academic year 2011-12 started on a high note, with the Faculty organising the 26thNational Endodontic Conference” at JMI.This was followed by an Orthodontic Workshop “Insights into Orthodontic Post Graduate Examination”, an event that is proposed to be conducted annually.
- In course of the past year, the Faculty has been actively engaged in several community-based Social Outreach Programmes aimed at prevention, control and betterment of oral health among the masses. Of these, efforts have been directed towards schools as well as neighbouring residential localities to sensitize as well as educate the community, with a special mention to
- a. The Faculty’s program of extending dental treatment services through dental camps to school children ranging from nursery to senior secondary level on a regular basis entered its third successful year this year.
- b. Our dental outreach programme also renders treatment to children from Centre for Special Children, Okhla, for which the Faculty has received appreciation in the past year.
- c. Adult oral health education programmes within the areas neighbouring JMI were also organised to make especially focussing on women residing within the nearby settlements and residential areas.
- d. Regular oral health talks are being conducted by the Faculty on Radio Jamia for the past three years making it possible for the general public to address their oral health related queries to the dentist and subsequently benefit following their advice.
- As a part of the Faculty’s Learning and Development Programme for its students’, various speakers of national and international repute were invited to present lectures and share their knowledge with the students and the Faculty alike.
- Students from the Faculty have also been actively engaged in socially relevant initiatives; their thoughts and perspectives on the theme of “Save the Girl Child”, expressed in form of paintings and a collage on the occasion of International Girl Child Day, was much appreciated. An added attraction was an enlightening lecture by Dr. Bulbul Dhar on women empowerment. The event was also graced by the presence of Ms.Kulsum Rashid and Dr Arvinder Ansari.
- Students and Faculty members will be regularly contributing by way of articles on scientific as well as social issues in “ASNAN”- the student magazine for Faculty of Dentistry. They are also looking forward to and preparing for their upcoming student festival “ZEST”; this event will provide another platform for all Students and Faculty members to explore their talents and creativity.
- Our budding dentists have created an impact in the various inter-college events at AIIMS, MAIDS & ESI Dental College by winning accolades in sports as well as academic debates and posters.