Teachers’ Training Institute was established in 1938 under the inspiring leadership of Dr. Zakir Husain for the purpose of training teachers for Basic Schools according to the scheme of Basic Education. Later, it was renamed as Teachers’ College. The College initiated Teacher Education Programme for Art and Craft Teachers and in Art Education. It also organized post graduate course in Education as well as research in Education. The status of Faculty of Education Today is an outcome of foresighted and transformation leadership of two noteworthy teacher educators, Saeed Ansari Saheb and Dr. Salamatullah – its first two Principals.
With the introduction of Faculty Structure in Jamia Millia Islamia in 1980, the erstwhile Teachers’ College was renamed as Faculty of Education.
At present it has the following two departments:
- Department of Educational Studies
- Department of Teacher Training and Non-Formal Education (Institute of Advanced Studies in Education
The Faculty of Education, through its two departments, runs 12 different programmes to prepare professional teachers and teacher educators. The Faculty also offers M.Phil. & Doctoral programme in Education.
The rigorous involvement of both students and teachers provide a strong knowledge base to research in areas like teacher educations, school education, higher education, educational administration and management etc.
Apart from the above, the faculty through the IASE has been providing training programme to in-service teachers at different levels.
Thus, the Faculty of Education, through its two sister departments, tend to strike a balance between the two major components of education e.g. research and training and has been functioning as a comprehensive institution of teacher education.