The Jamia Millia Islamia is a Dual Mode University offering Regular and Distance Mode education. In its regular mode, it conducts Undergraduate, Post-graduate, M.Phil., Ph.D. as well as Diploma and Certificate courses. The University caters to the interests of students from all communities, but also aims to meet the particular needs of the disadvantaged sections among the Muslims. True to the legacy of its founders, it continues to support measures for affirmative action and foster the goals of building a secular and modern system of integrated education. It is constantly learning from its history to negotiate the new and emerging challenges facing a nation of the twenty-first century.
The Jamia launched the Centre for Distance & Open Learning, with the assistance of Distance Education Council, in September 2002, to provide opportunities for higher education to those who otherwise are not able to draw benefit from the conventional system. The Centre also runs the Urdu Proficiency Course, formerly Urdu Correspondence Course. Its purpose is to teach Urdu through the distance mode.
The Open Learning System allows a learner to determine his pace of learning and provides education at his or her doorstep. The mode of transaction is through self-learning print material, supplemented by audio and video programmes.
The Centre for Distance and Open Learning was created with the following objective:
- To facilitate the students to study from his/her own chosen place.
- To make it easy for the student to determine his/her own pace and convenience.
- To offer flexibility in the choice of subjects from various disciplines.
- To provide “Self Learning Material” through the distance mode.
- To offer counselling/Contact Programmes, Workshops, Audio Visual Aids and Practical Experience to the students through Students Support Service by establishing a number of Study Centres/ Programme Centres.
To accomplish these objectives, the Centre has constituted Course Development Committees to develop the course structure and oversee the writing and editing.
At present, the Centre for Distance and Open Learning has 31 Study/Programme centres for counselling. They cover parts of North India. The centre plans to expand its activities to other regions in the coming session. The centre has opened up a few centres abroad also.
The main aim of distance education (DE) is to promote self-study or independent study among distance learners in the absence of regular face-to-face (F2F) teaching. To achieve this, every DLI extends support to its learners, which comprises of a cluster of facilities and activities that are intended to make the teaching- learning process easier and interesting. The support system may range from study centre /counselling/tutorial and administrative support. With an increase in programmes, the Centre for Distance and Open learning will resume open Students Supports services at different location in the country.
Programmes being offered at the centre:
- M.A. English (MEG).
- M.A. Hindi (MHD).
- M.A. History (MAH).
- M.A. Sociology (MAS).
- Post Graduate Diploma in Geo-informatics (PGDGI).
- Post Graduate Diploma in Guidance and Counselling (PGDGC).
- Bachelor of Education (B. Ed).
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A. General).
- Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com).
- Bachelor of International Business and Finance (BIBF).
- Advanced Diploma in Computer Hardware and Network Tech (ADCHNT).
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering (DEE).
- Diploma in Power Generation Engineering (DPGE).
- Diploma in Early Child Hood Care Education (DECCE).
- Certificate in Computer Information Technology (CCIT).
- M.A Political Science (MAPS)
- M.A Public Administration (MPA)
- M.A Human Resource Management (MHRM)
- M.A Education (M.A EDU)
- Master of Commerce (M.COM)
- Bachelor of Business Studies (BBS)