Main Objectives – To develop the teaching abilities and efficiency of in service Urdu teachers/ Urdu medium teacher and promote Urdu Language
The Government of India took a leading step towards promotion of Urdu language and uplift the standard of Urdu and Urdu medium teaching in the country. As a result three Centre for Professional Development of Urdu Teachers were sanctioned by the UGC vide letter No. F.49-3/2004(CU) dated October 2006 which have since been established at Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh and Maulana Azad National Urdu University, Hyderabad. The jurisdiction of each of these Centres has also been fixed. The Centre at Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi shall have responsibility of Urdu medium schools including madarsas and those schools where Urdu is taught as first, second & third language, in Delhi, Haryana, Punjab, Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir and Madhya Pradesh.
- develop the teaching abilities and capacities of in-service Urdu teachers / Urdu medium teachers
- increase teaching efficiency of in-service Urdu teachers/Urdu medium teachers
- evolve such teaching methods through which Urdu teaching can be made effective and interesting
- improve the power of communication (oral and written) in Urdu of Urdu medium teachers
- make available teaching aids and means to Urdu in-service Urdu / Urdu medium teachers
- provide help-books, handbooks, Urdu style manual reference books and other teaching and reading material as per requirement of the teachers, school syllabus and keeping in view the changes and different situations at different levels. \
- make efforts for the maintenance of proficiency of in-service teachers
- conduct short-term training programmes such as Orientation Course, Refresher Course, Pronunciation Course and other relevant courses for in-Service Urdu teachers/ Urdu medium teachers
- enrich the level of mastery in language teaching
- update the knowledge and upgrading
- help and assist the government of concerned states in preparing mother tongue as well as second and third language syllabus, text books, teaching materials and training programme for Urdu teachers/ Urdu medium teachers
- prepare suitable and interesting teaching material in all the medias such as print and audio-visual etc for the teaching of Urdu language & literature and other subjects
- provide extension and consultancy services to teachers involved in Urdu teaching and other subject teaching through Urdu medium in different levels and situations.
- arrange motivation programmes for in-service Urdu teacher as well as Urdu learners for developing their interest in Urdu language, literature and culture.
- provide solutions/answers/information etc. of any enquired question related to Urdu teaching and Urdu medium teaching by the teachers concerned as well as other people interested in Urdu learning and teaching.